Thursday, September 1, 2011

Getting There

So many planes, trains, and automobiles...but we're here!  Well, in country that is - we leave for our university Thursday afternoon (not sure if that counts as today or tomorrow since it's sometime after 3 am and jet lag has mercilessly made me wide awake).  So, we hope to be settled in our new home soon.

Today was a great day of learning from an amazing woman who has been involved with English education here for 27 years.  It was also a great day of sampling TexMex this side of the Pacific.  Surprisingly tasty!

It probably goes without saying, but one of the biggest challenges for me is definitely the language.  Even words or phrases that I was  previously comfortable with have been lost on me and are having a hard time finding their way back from the long-abandoned crevices of my mind.  For example, I was trying to think of how I could tell the front desk that we would like a wake up call at 7 am.  Instead of remembering the phrase "wake up" (chi chuang), all that would come to mind was the phrase for "mentally insane" (xin jin bing).  Thankfully, I was able to sit and think for awhile before calling down and telling any hotel personnel that "We would like to be mentally insane at 7 am!"  Oh, language.

No comments:

Post a Comment