Monday, October 17, 2011

Go Big or Go Home

Hardly a day goes by that one of us does not utter the well-worn phrase.  It provides a small window into how we are learning about a very different aspect of this culture.  Although most things lean towards being a big deal, when we're asked to do something here it is quite likely that we do not have the full picture with which to make a decision, but only 10% - the other 90% will (slowly) materialize over time.  It's a lot like an iceberg; we might be able to see the tip, but we're learning that there is actually so very much more lurking beneath the surface.  Simply put, China believes in going big.

About a month ago, Arianne was asked to sing with some of the students for a show in October.  Thinking it was no big deal, she easily agreed.  The fact that they had asked that far in advance should have been our first clue otherwise.  After a few practices, dance moves were added.  Then she was told about the "audition" she needed to attend.  Following more practices, more dance moves were added...and a solo part!  Finally, the week of the event she understood the significance of what she had actually been asked to do - she would perform at the 3 hour freshmen welcoming ceremony where faculty, staff, and the new 2,100+ freshmen class would be in attendance.  She, of course, was amazing - despite how the song selection (Upside Down by the A-Teens) was completely against every fiber of her musically artistic nature.  I loved looking across from backstage and seeing all the other groups of performers capturing her on their camera phones.  I'm looking forward to posting the video, but only after having a list of demands met that includes items from the states! (Hint, hint!)

Three days prior to the ceremony, when Arianne still had not yet been apprised of the full extent of the event, I received a phone call asking me to co-host with one of the male foreign teachers.  I knew if I declined, they'd ask another female foreign teacher, and no one really seemed quite...enthused...to do so.  I reasoned that Arianne had it worse and I could take one for the team.  Much to the organizers' dismay, I didn't have time to practice due to my two TL days right before the event and my busy class schedule the day of (Thursday).  I was told I could just show up to the event early and that wearing my teaching clothes (business casual) would be fine.  That day, when I had finished teaching, I went home to meet Arianne to head to our Chinese class.  Boy, did she look different.  The students had insisted she go to a salon and have her hair done - I don't think even anyone in Dallas could have made it bigger!  At that point, she informed me that the Chinese hosts were in suits and sparkly, strapless evening gowns.  Swell.

I got a call during Chinese class that I needed to book it to the event facility, so I ran home to change into the little black dress that I thankfully had the foresight to pack, downed a sandwich and headed over.  There, I learned about the mic situation, walking patterns and line changes - not exactly the exciting life I had prepared for as a history major.  Meanwhile, my foreign teacher co-host, bedecked in a suit, lamented that earlier in the day the Chinese hosts were "only in suits...now there are tuxes!"  Glitter abounded.  Once the event actually began, I peered out from backstage into the crowd - my fellow foreign teachers and faculty, the university president and administration, the massive camera crew (gliding track included), and well over 2,100 freshmen were gathered below.  We had been told that we were "surprise" hosts and that we would be covered by an umbrella as we walked onto the stage.  We had not been told that the umbrellas would actually be plural and accompanied by the opening dance number.  We were also not told that once the umbrellas were ushered away, we would walk forward to the front of the stage that would be exploding in an impressive pyrotechnic display.  Never have I worked so hard to mask my look of shock and maintain a simple smile.  The end of the show was nothing short of a full-fledged Jerry Lewis spectacle - there were bubbles, there were performers, there were confetti guns, and there were further pyrotechnic displays.  The president and other higher-ups joined us on stage to shake our hands and take massive rounds of photos.  It was truly unlike anything I have ever experienced.

After such an ordeal experience, it is no wonder that when I had the chance to go into the city and do a little Western shopping, I didn't think twice about buying the roughly 4 kg (9 lb) block of cheese.  "After all," I told myself, "this is China.  Go big or go home."

2 comments:

  1. Ey vay. You're not in Kansas anymore Dorothy. Good job on the cheese. you know you can freeze it and use it in stages. What kind of cheese was it anyways?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing wrong with spiders...they don't bite much!

    ReplyDelete