Thursday, December 1, 2011

Work Visa/Residence Permit

I recently posted about how I obtained my latest tourist visa a year ago October.  Getting my Chinese work visa was certainly more complicated, but much less stressful.  The university requested a number of things (such as my passport, photos, degree, etc) and sent me forms to fill out, including a physical exam requiring my physician's authorization.  My dr. got quite a kick about testing me for "toxicomania" and the like.

After receiving my documents, the university dealt with everything they could in China.  They then express mailed me the approved documents that needed to be sent (with my original passport) to the consulate in the states.  I had to hurry to find an agent that could get everything to the consulate and back to me in less than a week - when I was already scheduled to fly out.  Everything went smoothly.  After I arrived in China, our foreign handler (waiban) took us to register at the local Public Security Bureau (PSB).  Soon after, the school helped us with our residence permit application (which supersedes the work visa).  This involved more documents and copies of all the previous documents.  From there, I needed to visit three organizations in the city: 1.  Healthcare Center  2.  Office of Foreign Experts  3.  Public Security Bureau (a different branch from the local one we first visited).

Each school has an official party-appointed waiban, or foreign handler in charge of handling these affairs.  So, it is the responsibility of the waiban to coordinate these activities on our behalf.  I was exceedingly grateful to have Emma's (and her colleague, Peter's) efforts helping us through the process.  One morning shortly after arriving in our new home, we took the hour long ride into CQ city and went to the overcrowded Healthcare Center for foreigners and began filling out paperwork.  Apparently, the day we went was also the day that many universities in CQ city decided to have their foreign teachers tested and the center was absolutely brimming.  Here's a small taste of what it looked like just outside the front door:

The paperwork required our height and weight in centimeters and kilograms, respectively - not something many of us Americans knew offhand.  "Thankfully" there was a GIANT scale that would simultaneously measure both in the very center of the packed out room.  I took a deep breath, got in line, waited my turn, and climbed on.  I wish it were an exaggeration to say that a crowd of strangers gathered (closer) around and began vehemently discussing the numbers while refusing me the kindness of stepping down.  Apparently they believed there was some sort of inaccuracy with the calculations and thought it best to use me as a means of testing/retesting the scale - an impromptu posse of vigilante weighers, if you will.  After what seemed like 10 years and 1,000 humiliations, I was finally able to escape.  I completed the form and, with the help of Peter, pushed through the crowd to the desk that would do a forehead temp scan.

From there, the group progressed to the line for registration, then the line for admissions, and finally the line for payments.  After a couple of hours in the massive (and massively packed) receiving area, we were cleared to move upstairs for our actual physical testing.  Upon reaching the second floor and being made to understand what was expected of us, the foreign teachers joked that it was like some twisted video game: Successfully get your blood drawn?  Level up to the x-ray room!  Endure yelling of the ancient female dr. in a foreign language while being uncomfortably groped under an open window?  Pass thru to the toilet chambers of death...if you dare.  Lucky enough to survive the evil glare and goop of the enraged ultrasound tech?  Move onward to see if the EKG clamps will forever hold you in their 1950's-era grasp.

I'm happy to report that we all successfully conquered the "game" and were rewarded with a lunch at Subway.  Not just any Subway, either, but one located right next door to a Starbucks!  We had to wait for the results of the medical tests before being able to move on to the Office of Foreign Experts or PSB.  The results weren't ready to pick up until after the other offices had closed, so we headed home for the night and made plans to return the following afternoon.

We arrived at the Office of Foreign Experts - a nice, large, impressive building - and headed upstairs for our individual interviews.  The interviewer informed me that was sitting in for his boss while his boss prepared for what sounded like a "crocodile" party for the foreigners.  Though intrigued, I was slightly relieved he did not extend an invitation to me.  We chatted cordially for a few minutes before he concluded the interview and continued on with the others.  When everyone had finished, we went back downstairs to the large, quiet lobby to wait while our waiban stayed behind.  Roughly two or three hours later, she emerged with impressive, passport-looking "Foreign Expert Certificates" for all of us.  Yet again, the time for this endeavor took longer than initially expected.  So, we had no time left to visit the PSB.  We headed home and made plans to return to CQ city again the following day.

We arrived at the PSB the following afternoon and were amazed at the stark contrast between the Foreign Experts Office and the crowd at the small PSB office.  Our waiban submitted our forms as we stood waiting until we were assigned an interviewing officer.  The officer asked standard questions as a camera recorded our interview, informed us of necessary information, and provided helpful tips about living/working in China.  We had to leave our passports there, which was somewhat unsettling, but quite a relief when we received them back a couple of weeks later (just in time to travel for National Day!) with our shiny, new residence permits.

International visas/permits can certainly be tricky, time-consuming, and/or inconvenient, but in my opinion, the resulting experience has always been worth it.  Here in a couple months, I'll let you know if I still feel the same after the Myanmar, India, Nepal, Tibet experience!

1 comment:

  1. I laughed at your vigilante weighers comment, and the video game bit. Especially the 1950's era technology! Weren't you worried about them using all of that old machinery on you? I am sure that the x-rays gave you your dose of radiation for the next few years to come! Ha! :P

    ReplyDelete