Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Christmas in China (or, alternately) How Do You Like Dem Apples?

I am so thankful that the internet connection has been (mostly) good enough for me to do the things I need to (eventually) since we've been back from our winter break.  So, I'll fill you in on what Christmas was like here before moving on to posts about my travels during the break and Chinese New Year and such.


Although this was not my first Christmas away from loved ones, it was my first one spent in a foreign country, namely one that does not especially celebrate the holiday.  It was a little strange to "get in the Christmas spirit" when nothing (outside our apartment) was decorated or festive, and no carols were playing anywhere we went.  In the same breath, it also made it easier to avoid homesickness.  Although our contract does generously allow for Christmas Day as a holiday, it fell on Sunday, making it a bit of a non-issue.

Naturally, my students were curious about the holiday because they are aware of its commercial importance in the West.  I had well over 500 students last semester, and had the opportunity to share the historical and cultural significance of the holiday with each class, as well as current traditions.  In an interesting break from local tradition, the foreign teachers were also invited to sing carols at the end of an annual (not holiday related) student event.  Our fearless leader even found sequin Santa hats for each of us to don for the occasion.  Oh, joy to the world.

Like any other class topic, some of my students were more interested in learning about the holiday than others.  A couple of my classes even came to our apartment for a short, little Christmas party.


Many of my students embraced the festivities with gusto, wanting to hear all about the Christmas Old Man (literal translation from Chinese for Santa Claus) and bringing me gifts.  I was touched, if not slightly confused, when the first student brought me an apple.  I thought perhaps she'd heard that an old tradition in America was to give apples to teachers and she thought that it'd thereby make the perfect Christmas gift.

Fun card and fruit (including an apple!) from some of my students.

Later, in a different class, I talked about having a gift exchange with the students and encouraged them to all bring one wrapped item the next week.  As they were leaving, one student practically winked as she grinned widely and asked if she should bring...an apple.  I thought to myself, "What is with the apples?!"

By the end of the week, I had my answer.  As well as many, many more apples.  

These came all at once from a group of students.

Apparently, the gift of apples has become a bit of a Chinese Christmas Eve tradition.  The Chinese word for apple is "ping guo" and sounds similar to the word for peace and safety (also "ping").  So, in essence, by sending someone an apple for Christmas, they are wishing them peace and safety.  Pretty sweet, huh?

The university was so kind and threw us a Christmas banquet a few days before the holiday to help us celebrate.  They catered in some Western style food (hence the plates stacked with white bread and the bottles of Pepsi).  It was really nice to be able to share a special meal with some of our new friends.


Later, on Christmas Day, the foreign teachers all met together for a Christmas brunch and to share some of our own traditions from home.  We had several breakfast casseroles, muffins, fruit salad, sausage balls, and other goodies.  We are definitely learning how to make things work here!


We spent time together singing carols, reading the Christmas story, and having a white elephant gift exchange.  My illustrious winnings included these lovely items:


So, although I certainly missed my family and friends in the states, I did not feel at all unfortunate.  Plus, the good thing about being overseas during the holidays is how the blessings seem to drag on.  For example, I started receiving cards in early December and just this week (yep, mid-February) I received an amazing Christmas package.  I kinda feel sorry for those of you who only get a month - tops, of seasonal joy.  Heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment