Friday, March 15, 2013

Identity and Such

In my western culture class this week, our topic has been "Ethnic and National Identity."  Naturally, to introduce the idea of identity, I took a few moments at the beginning of class to talk about standard forms of identity, using my own Texas driver's license and US passport in comparison to the students' government-issued ID cards.  The conversation went a little something like this:

Me:  Ok, so what kind of information is typically listed on an ID card?
Student(s):  Name! ID #!
Me:  Right, ok, what else?
S: Address...
Me:  Yep.  Let's see, and here's "height."
S:  Birthday!
Me: Good, good.  Hair color...eye color...
S:  (blank stares)
Me:  Uhh...hair color and eye color...right?
S:  (blank stares)
Me: (just nearly on the verge of a realization) Um, ok.  Quick question...do your ID cards have your hair or eye color?
S:  (confused looks, shaking heads)...no....
Me: Ah.  Ok. (seeing an unexpected opportunity for further learning) Let's work this out.  What is the natural hair color of nearly every Chinese person?
S: Black!
Me:  And what is the natural eye color of nearly every Chinese person?
S:  Brown!
Me: Ok, what is the natural hair color of nearly every American person?
S:  Yellow! (seeing my reaction) Uh, bu* bu bu bu, uhhh blonde! (looking at my hair color) Bubububu...brown!
Me:  Hmm.  Well, what is the natural eye color for nearly every American person?
S:  Blue!
Me:  (walking to the front row of students, pulling off my glasses) What color are my eyes?
S:  Brown?
Me: Close - they're actually hazel.  Sometimes brown, sometimes green, sometimes both.
S: Wha-???  You can change your eyes?!
Me: No, it's not really like I can - I mean, it's not a superpower or anything. (closing my eyes and pretending to concentrate) "Green, green, GREEN!"
S:  (still somewhat perplexed)
Me: Ok, let's see.  What color is Ms. Patty's hair...you'd better not say yellow!
S: Uhh, blonde.
Me: Yes, and her eyes?
S: Blue.

I went through the same questions about a few of the other American teachers here, showcasing how we each have different hair/eye color combinations and perhaps that's why our IDs request such seemingly superfluous information.  I just love it when their minds casually creak open just a bit more, just enough to allow old stereotypes to shut down while new ideas form!


*Mandarin for "no"

No comments:

Post a Comment