Thursday, May 9, 2013

Ant Killers

Ok, so after my marginally depressing post yesterday, I thought it'd be a good idea to reflect on things that keep me sane - a list of ant killers, if you will.  Here goes!

~The milk tea stand just outside the front gate of our campus with its limitless variety of flavor choices
~The awesome friends who run the milk tea stand and not only share their watermelon, but let me test my hand at things like lemon cake
~Looking at a sign in Chinese and realizing I understand it (!)
~The amazing group of people I get to share life with
~Receiving any kind of communication from friends in other places - encouraging notes, ridiculous articles, mundane details of life anywhere else (it's easy to forget when your day-to-day looks so different), phone calls (even in the middle of the night because math is hard and the time difference wasn't factored in)
~Sending and receiving text messages in Chinese - like a boss!
~Funnel cakes
~Setting aside time to reflect and study
~A weekly coffee shop trip
~Students who take the time to ask insightful questions or offer an encouraging word
~Knowing that I'll be able to catch up with those I've been missing in just a couple short months
~Blinglish shirts

And a great, big one*
~Going to meet with the Vice Dean about a couple of cheating students only to find out they've already thrown themselves at his mercy and been dealt with accordingly.

*I couldn't bring myself to call it an "elephant killer" - they're just such noble creatures.  Obviously I am biased against ants.

No comments:

Post a Comment