Sunday, October 28, 2012

A Little Conversation

Every Thursday evening, all of us foreign teachers go to English Corner.  On our campus, English Corner is a school club run by some of the sophomore and junior English majors.  Ours is held outside, next to the lotus pond, for two hours every Thursday night.  It's designed to be an opportunity for students/faculty/random citizens in the community to swing by and practice their conversational English.  Sometimes this goes exceedingly well and we have great conversations or even develop new friendships.  Other times, it's difficult to focus on the conversations due to the distraction of whatever is most biting that night, typically a toss up between mosquitos or the cold.  It can also be an insight into what makes the minds of these young scholars tick.

Take, for instance, this conversation I had with a student during English Corner this past week:

Student: So, which one of you dyes their hair...you, or Miss Patty?
Me: Well, neither of us really dye our hair.  We've both added some highlights, which changes the color a little, I guess.  Why do you ask?
S: My roommate and I have been discussing this and we can't agree.
Me: Agree on what?
S: Well, your hair is not the same color!
Me: Um, yes. That's true.
S: So one of you must dye your hair because it's not the same color.
Me (a little confused): Mine is usually a little darker brown, maybe, but Miss Patty's is naturally blonde.
S: But, you know, all of us Chinese have the same color of hair.  And you're both American...so...?
Like I'd ever color over those golden locks!
I had quite the time convincing her that not everyone who shares a nationality shares the same hair color!

3 comments:

  1. HA. why you so different from us?????? huh.larious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...um and I just saw that your label is "I do not think it means what you think it means."

    girl. your humor is so subtle- i love it when I realize it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. If I showed up with my hair shining reddish brown we would totally blow their minds.

    ReplyDelete